Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hurricane Problems Extend to Pullman

Having moved from a "well-connected" community, where our cable internet connection provided us with speeds of 3,000 Kbps, it was (and it was anticipated) a real adjustment to be back to a dial-up connection. Neither cable or DSL is available here.

Even using my realiable ACN Internet service, the best we can do is 50 Kbps on one line and 28.8 Kbps on the other line ... the line I'm on right now. I talked to Verizon about the the slow speed on line two and they just said, "You're lucky to get 50 Kbps on line one: We only guarantee 28.8 Kbps on rural lines."

I looked at the alternatives: Just "grin & bear it;" try to get the Pullman wireless Internet provider to extend service to this area; or twiddle my fingers until some miracle happens and we get cable or DSL here. None of those possibilities were very appealing. So: Back in August, I ordered a satellite internet setup. It's expensive but will deliver around 750 Kpbs, downloading, and 128 Kbps, uploading.

As of today: NO satellite equipment has arrived here at the ranch! The story I'm getting - and I've checked it out with other satellite Internet providers - is FEMA has bought up all the satellite internet equipment to use for the hurricane disaster operation. (From what I have heard about FEMA, "my" equipment is probably sitting in some warehouse - unused!) I'm told that "maybe in October" the equipment will ship. From my years of experience, I suspect that "maybe" is spelled with a capital M!

So here I set, all brokenhearted, watching my files creep in and out of Verizon's phone lines at about the same speed as the angleworm trying to get away from the robin, I'm watching creeping around in our yard.

As you look at the Photos Of The Day, please appreciate how long it takes to get those pictures uploaded!

(As I proof-read this note, Jacquie is looking over my shoulder and telling me that someone is going to say, "You spoiled kid - you are upset because you don't have high-speed Internet service and those poor folks don't have a place to live." She's right, of course, but I don't think my 30" dish sitting unused in a warehouse is doing much for disaster relief. Besides, just for the record, we do care: Jacquie and I gave a four-figure donation to the Red Cross - so don't flame me! LOL)

2 Comments:

At September 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proof Reading Comments:
Here I "sit" not here I "set". You set a plate down, you sit your rear down.
Don't "blame" me - not "flame" me. Flame could be easily misconstrued!! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
Happy blogging! Surely I get a prize for this, don't I???????
Cork

 
At September 27, 2005, Blogger Roger Daisley said...

Cork:

Because you are so ab-so-toot-ly correct regarding my "sitter" but, unfortunately, so ill-informed regarding "flaming" ... and because I have half of a prize left over from a previous contest, I will award you with HALF OF A PRIZE.

CONGRATULATIONS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.