Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Oh, The Things I should Have Said and Done ...

One afternoon, while in Kauai, we took a scenic helicopter flight over the island. After the flight we departed and headed for the grocery store. In the store, I remembered I had left my newly purchased "Red Dirt Hat" (named after the omnipresent red dirt throughout the island). We returned to the airfield and I retrieved my hat.
As I climbed back into the car, I noticed a tall young man, probably around 26 years old, hobbling back to his car from a flight, aided by his father. He had one leg missing and was obviously just getting accustomed to his new artificial leg. On his head was a ball cap with the words, "United States Marines," in gold letters, across the front.
I paused for a second, behind the wheel of our rental car, then got out and walked over to the pair, just as they were getting into their car. I asked the obvious question, "Were you in the Marines?" "Yes." Glancing, but not staring, at his leg, I asked, "Did that happen in Iraq?" "Yes. it did."
I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "Thank you very much for your service." His quick reply caught me off guard: "I would do it again," he replied!
With that unexpected heart felt poignant comment, I felt tears starting to well in my eyes and all I could do was to quickly retreat to my car and slide back behind the wheel again and just sit there for a few seconds, composing myself. Jacquie asked, "What was that all about?" I could barely utter a reply, as I felt my eyes water and my throat starting to tighten up.
As I silently began to drive back to the condo, I thought of all the things I should have said, but didn't. (I'm sure if I had tried, right then, I'd have made a sad scene.) I wish I could have been there before the flight and I would have gladly paid for it myself. I also wish I had told them that if they had the evening free, would he and his family be our guests that night for dinner at the Princeville Hotel. (A VERY nice place!)
But I didn't do any of those things and I felt like I should have ... I wish I had! Oh, I really, really wish I had. That young man has sacrificed a great deal for all of us ... and he'd do it again! All of us own him the highest respect and gratitude.
War is Hell!

6 Comments:

At June 05, 2007, Blogger JacquelineKD said...

Yes, if we could only 'rewind' the tape. It would have been an honor.

 
At June 05, 2007, Blogger Roger Daisley said...

Even though several days have passed, this was a hard blog entry for me to write. But I told Jacquie, just minutes after it happened, that I needed to put it in my blog.

It was the closest I have come to "touching the face of our Iraq soldiers."

 
At June 06, 2007, Blogger Bryan said...

Very touching. I'm glad you blogged this.

 
At June 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? I bet it meant a great deal to him, too.
Way to go, Dad. Nicely written!!

 
At June 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo the words ....
"Nicely Written!!"

 
At July 03, 2007, Blogger Adam Monsen said...

Honor defined. Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.