Monday, May 19, 2008

Switches ON

This morning we switched the solar PV (photovoltaic) system ON. Under the standard conditions it will generate 2.5 kilowatts (kW) of power per hour.

As of 5:00pm, we have generated over 11 kW of power, even though it was turned on later in the morning and we had a partly cloudy/hazy day.

In perspective, this morning, I drove my electric VW to Pullman and back with a few shopping excursions. (23 miles, total) It took 8.5 kW of electricity to recharge the car. Bottom line: I totally recharged my car using the sun ... and I had power left over to sell back to the power company.

Here's how it works:

* Plug my car into the power grid and pay $.053 per kW/hour. Cost to charge car: $.45

* Generate 11kW of power and sell to power company @ $.15 per kW/hour. Get paid $1.65

** RESULTS: Twenty-three FREE miles of travel and made $1.20 profit, to boot!

(My gas car probably would gave burned up about one $4.00 gallon of gas!)


In a day, or so, watch the system performance at: http://rjrenergy.blogspot.com


2 Comments:

At June 22, 2008, Blogger Adam Monsen said...

That's just too cool! I'm way jealous of your "solar system". And the amount of sun you have to feed it. :)

 
At June 23, 2008, Blogger rmonsen said...

This is very encouraging. I may have to dust off the solar panels in my garage and actually mount them somewhere where they can create power. In the dark they are not too active.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.