Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Political Comment

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies." ... Groucho Marx

I bought several copies of the hardback book, "Do As I Say (Not As I Do), Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy" by Peter Schweizer, with the full intention of sending a copy to each of my liberal children. (I kept hearing in the background of my mind, the cowboy song, "Don't Let Your Children Grow Up To Be Liberals ... ahh ... I mean Cowboys." Oops ... Freudian slip!)

As the Christmas mailing time approached and passed, the books stayed glued to the kitchen counter. Some force was preventing me from sending the books. I handed one to Patrick, when he was here Christmas Eve, but it was left behind.

A couple of days ago, I was talking to my daughter, Courtney, and I mentioned the book and that I might send her one. She posed the question, couldn't a similar book be written about Conservatives, too? I had to admit that was certainly a true statement. If that is true, and it is, then why was this book written? Obvious: To make money. Do you think a book entitled, "All the great things Conservatives Say," would sell? Of course not! So maybe there is a book titled, "All The Lies Conservatives Tell Us." I'm sure it would sell well.

Bottom Line: Anyone who has been alive in this world for more than a couple of decades, most likely has several of the "Not As I Do" or "All The Lies ... " stories that can be dug up about them and, with great fanfare, flung to the public like meat to a hungry cougar.

Now here's the point I'm leading to: The more I listen to TV News, whether it's Fox, CNN, CSPAN or Katie Couric, the not-too-subtle hook is to stir up controversy. Know why newspapers overwhelmingly report "bad news?" It's because no one would buy the paper to read about what a great birthday party George W Bush had. But, if George W Bush had a slip of the tongue and said something foolish, it would be all over the front page. Example: A Rhodes Scholar, by the name of Dan Quale, misspelled potato ... and it was the talk of the nation for months. In fact, it was probably a major contributing factor to his political demise.

We now have one of the most virulently polarized political societies. It doesn't matter if it's a person-on-the-street, a major network news outlet or even the used-to-be-prestigious New York Times: Each "point of news outlet" now has a locked-in-concrete political view. The heck with trying to further well being or reporting true facts, what is now important, it seems to me, is a hard-sell on whatever their slant is. The "facts" are what they rationalize them to be. The result: The whole country is "choosing up sides." This is not good: No one will listen to other points of view because the assumption, which is probably true, is that the opposing points are probably a "slanted pack of lies."

It's always been my point of view that if you introduce a problem, you better be ready to introduce a solution. Here's mine: STOP listening to TV news ... and try to understand that the other good citizens of this USA are just as vitally interested in the survival of the country and our way of life, too.

Remember the words of Courtney: "Can't they say the same thing about Conservatives/Liberals, too?"

Let's all take a deep breath and step back from the talking-heads and try to ask ourselves, what would we have done in the same situation, knowing the same "facts" that were available at that time. (And I'm NOT referring to the invasion of Iraq!) And another one of my favorite questions: Does it pass the Smell Test? Apply that to every situation.

Thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more that we need to find common ground in this country (and world). United we stand, divided we fall.

In my life, to this point, I have learned three things:

1. There IS a God. I don't pretend to have any special insight into His nature or have any special conduit to His will, but I do know that He is there. This means that our lives and existence have meaning and purpose. Whether or not we live our lives in a way that is in harmony with that meaning and purpose defines whether or not our lives have any real worth. What we do, or allow to happen does matter.

2. Our relationships are the only things in life that really matter. When I am old or facing the end of my life I am certain that the relationships that I had, or didn’t have, will be the source of my greatest joys, comforts and deepest sorrows. I also know that LOVE is the only measure of a relationship. People lose me when they talk about their religion, politics and businesses, or whatever, when love is not the central tenet. We are judged and respected by the way we treat others, especially the “least” among us.

3. The greatest gift we have been given is choice. We are not slaves and our futures are not pre-ordained. We are free to live our lives in any way that we see fit. We can’t choose what cards life deals us, only how to play them. We can choose to love and serve one another or we can choose to love and serve ourselves. In the end the choices we make make us, and our civilization.

So I guess I would say love your God, families and fellow man and make choices that spread that love and help them to love as well. If this sounds corny or naive to you then you can brand me with whatever label you want. I am content. Life is all about choices.

 
At December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW: I really did just forget to grab the book!

 
At December 29, 2005, Blogger Bryan said...

Well said by both of you. I will only add that I agree, and that I'm happy that these thoughts were expressed.

One of my favorite quotes is something I heard Mike Holmgren say once: "When things go wrong and I'm looking for a cause, the first place I look is me." In almost all cases, you will find what you're looking for.

 
At December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmm - I think you were actually saying something nice about me and what I said, right???
:-)

I am so freaking smart it's unreal...

p.s. Pat - I brand you with the label "freaking smart" too, for that eloquent reply.
Bryan - well, you can only hope you are as smart as me someday.

Well written Dad, you old codger, you. Maybe 72 is shaping up to be a good year for the ol' noggin!

 
At February 13, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interplay http://cciworldwide.org/members/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitors.aspx portable http://cciworldwide.org/members/Popcorn-Machines.aspx locus http://cciworldwide.org/members/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx fortunes http://cciworldwide.org/members/Area-Rugs.aspx attachable http://cciworldwide.org/members/Omeprazole.aspx salixigens http://cciworldwide.org/members/Vacuum-Cleaners.aspx waving http://cciworldwide.org/members/Annuity-Calculator.aspx tarot http://cciworldwide.org/members/Bariatric-Surgery.aspx antennas http://cciworldwide.org/members/Electric-Blankets.aspx jessel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.