Wednesday, October 18, 2006

NO HUNTING

We have posted "NO HUNTING" signs all around the R J RANCH property. You'd be amazed at the number of people that drop in and ask if they can hunt on our property. Just driving in, they pass two very conspicuous NO HUNTING signs. I don't get mad about them asking, in fact, I am glad they do. We're always friendly and neighborly about it. If Jacquie isn't around, I usually blame her for the no hunting: "My wife just doesn't like hunting." I'm sure that when I'm not around, it's: "My husband just doesn't like hunting."

Today, we raised the bar: We were working on the barn, this morning, when we heard the distinctive noise of a 4-wheeler buzzing around our property line, on top of the hill - out of sight. Since there is nothing but wheat fields from our property line back, they had to be checking out the tree and brush area on our property for game. (It's also clearly posted.) Jacquie spotted them, at the property line, appearing to be looking down into the thick tree and underbrush area.

I told Jacquie, "I'm going to have a little fun." I quickly pulled the helicopter out of the barn and fired it up. They must have heard or saw me do that, so they skedaddled out of there, but not before I got the chopper airborne and like a Forward Air Controller in Laos, I located them over the next ridge and made it quite clear that they had been spotted. (I wish I had one of our "target marking rockets" that we used in Laos!) They had their orange hunting vests on and the only reason for them to be where they were was to hunt for deer on our property. (We had been warned by the previous owner that hunters might come sneaking on to our property from over the hill.) I bet they don't try that again! I’m still laughing about what they must have thought.

Ps: Our neighbors told us a couple of weeks ago that there seems to be a rumor going around that there is a HUGE buck deer hiding out in the thick treed area of our property ... and everyone want to shoot it. Oh well ...

1 Comments:

At October 18, 2006, Blogger JacquelineKD said...

Yep, that's what I tell them. "My husband doesn't want hunters on the property...sorry!" (chuckle).

They knew they had been spotted when they saw me looking back at Roger and pointing at them. They skedaddled pretty quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.